The times, they are indeed changing

Try not to read too much into this ok?  I am starting a training “bootcamp” this week that will end with me joining the IBM Connections support team.

It felt good to get that out.

My work for almost 20 years has been around Lotus Notes.  I’ve worked for IBM for the last 12 years in various support roles, mostly on the road, but the last 2 years or so working at my home office, talking to customers and solving calendar and client-related problems.  I’m pretty good at it and I like people, so it all worked out.  I recently traveled to the Philippines for IBM where I got to help train people in the newest support center, and that was a lot of fun.

A few weeks ago, the management team sent out a call for volunteers to move over to the Connections support group because that product is growing like crazy.  I thought about it briefly, then volunteered.  I feel excited, guilty and scared.  I’m excited because its different – its change, its new stuff.  I feel guilty because I really love the team I am on.  There’s a ton of work still in Notes and my leaving puts more work on my friends.  And I really am scared because Connections has approximately eleventy times as many moving parts than Notes and Domino have. And while I know a lot of it already, I’m going to be dusting off some pretty creaky brain cells because I want to be as good at THIS as I am with Notes.  Without taking 20 years to get there.

So, the Notes Goddess is taking on Connections.  Honestly, I still bleed yellow and always will.  I’ve never met a piece of software yet I couldn’t tame, so I’ll take on Connections just for the challenge. Wish me luck.

I’ll see some of you in January, because I’m still working with the Connect2014 crew – back driving the Best Practices track. Meanwhile, I’ll be studying and building servers and using a highlighter on paper copies of instructions…..and falling over from brain overload….

Stay in touch!

About these ads

About Susan

I am a nerd girl. I currently work for IBM as part of the support group for Connections. While some of the postings here look like work stuff, the opinions and intellect and intellectual property are mine and mine alone. I am a unique individual and my employer in no way defines me. Still, I like the pay check, so thanks for that, IBM.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to The times, they are indeed changing

1. Tom says:

Good move, Susan… Congrats on the new role, and I’m sure you’ll rock it like you do your current one.

2. Gabriella says:

Congratulations Susan – you’ll be sorely missed from the calendaring team (and the Notes and Domino teams) but from an entirely selfish perspective I’m delighted you’re going to be on the Connections team since that’s where all my PMRs are right now :-)

3. Congratulations. Especially on deciding to challenge yourself. All good. Best of luck!

4. Paul Calhoun says:

Sweet !!! Excited for you and the new opportunity !!! Congrats !!!

5. Chris Whisonant says:

Susan, this is excellent news! Congratulations, and kudos for volunteering to tackle something new – you will do great with this!!

6. Go get ‘em and have fun. We learn something new every day.

7. Matt White says:

Congratulations Susan, sounds like fun times ahead.

8. Tony Holder says:

Susan, that is awesome, congratulations! If a change is as good as a rest, then you’re going to feel very rested. Just make sure that Gab doesn’t monopolise you! ;-)

9. You have now and always will rock. Congrats on the move!!!!!

10. Susan: Sounds like a good and exciting step for you. Enjoy! Hard not to read at least something into it about the relative status of Domino/Notes vs Connections.

11. Congratulations! You will do great in yoru new team! Very exciting news!

12. We will miss you for sure, but good move. The Connections team don’t know what’s going to hit them (and that’s positive!). Cheers.

13. Love this!!! Welcome to the team!!!

14. Ray Bilyk says:

Congratulations! You will be missed (as you ARE just that awesome), but consider this challenge as a way to start the rest of us on the trail forward…
    Now, we know that support for Connections will rock as well…

15. Great news, Susan. Congratulations. Very happy for you. I have a few customers interested in deploying Connections — you quite possibly made my job easier now. :)

16. Stephen Mullen says:

Congratulations on the new assignment Susan. I know my Team at DAI will miss having you on the calendaring team.

17. I think you’ll do very well in that role, and the IBM customers who have moved to Connections are by definition among their most strategic. It is both a product line and a customer set that cries out for the level of detail and attention you are best able to provide. IBM is lucky to have you in that role.

18. Devin Pipkin says:

Congratulations!!! I am sure you will do great!!!!

19. Beth Anne Collopy says:

Phew.. You scared me for a minute there. I almost thought your were really moving to a new job, like in another division. You will do great on the Connections Team. They are lucky to have you!

20. Go Susan! Yes, it will be scary… but I am sure you will look back at this move as a good think to help you grow and learn new things. I am sure this is a good move – and congratulations!

21. rrumaner says:

Congratulation Susan. It must be Connections day today as I was just asked to investigate it myself and learn how to add a widget to a Connections Wiki. So far I realize that there is a lot to learn and that it is going to be interesting to say the least.

22. 4-5 weeks in Bootcamp and then put you on the front line? Good. Watch for my calls. I’m sure I will have plenty. Here’s the first one: I add a file do a community. Then I create a todo within an activity that is within the community. This todo is to review and update the document I posted in the community, so I want to include a link to the file. I expand More Options of the todo and click Attach File. But unlike other places, here I can only attach a file from my local disk, not from My Files or from the community files. Hmm. OK. So I click Add Custom Fields – Link to File. But once again, the community files are not available. What say you? SPR please.

23. Mike Cooper says:

Congratulations Susan, enjoy the new role!

24. Gaby Spaszewski says:

Congrats Susan!!!! I think this was a good and the right decision (although I can understand very well it was also a pretty difficult one) and I wish you all the Best in your new role!! :-)

25. Andreas Imnitzer says:

Excellent move, Susan. Congratulations.

26. edbrill says:

Congrats Susan. Getting out of the beanbag is alright. You will rock because you rock – the technology isn’t as important as the person.

27. Congratulations Susan… I see this as a win-win for you and IBM collaboration solutions.

28. Shean McManus says:

Congrats Susan! You will be missed in the C&S support role, however. As a customer, I was always relieved when one of our issues escalated to you. We new the problem would be resolved at that point.

29. Jerry Glover says:

Couple of days slow here finding this out, but congrats and good luck!

Now I can talk to you about my Connections issues. Truth be told, it mostly keeps chugging along without much intervention, but maybe I can find some reasons to chat with you.. errr.. issues to resolve. ;-)

Comments are closed.