The ‘next big thing’ for Notes Admins

This is a question, not a statement.  And before you wonder, No – I’m not looking for work and not worried.  I don’t know any inside information.  This subject came up in discussions with some other Notes Admin types recently.

Career counselors always urge us to keep our skills up to date.  In IT, this is especially true because technologies and trends (and fads) change quickly.  Those of us who work with Notes have seen our Developer-type colleagues study newer technologies as the app world has gone web-based and mobile.  They’ve learned XPages, DOJO, JSON, XML, Java™Script, ATOM and all manner of other things I don’t understand.  And they’re using these things and are more marketable for their efforts.  If their employers change technologies, or if someone wants to pay them more to do other kinds of work, these people are ready.

What about us admin types?  What do we learn?  What should we do?  It’s long been my opinion that if you run Domino on Windows, you should be a MSCE – both because its not that hard and because you may need to build a server from scratch at some point.  It’s a pretty handy skill.  Linux is a little more work, but still not too hard and not a bad skill to claim.

So, what’s next for us?  What do you think?  What should we (you) be learning to make yourself marketable in today’s work world?  What are you studying yourself?

Talk.

Advertisements

About Susan

I am a nerd girl. I currently work for IBM as part of the support group for Connections. While some of the postings here look like work stuff, the opinions and intellect and intellectual property are mine and mine alone. I am a unique individual and my employer in no way defines me. Still, I like the pay check, so thanks for that, IBM.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The ‘next big thing’ for Notes Admins

1. focus on Active Directory very heavily.

2. Gab Davis says:

For me I’ve always been “on top of OS” – I’ll use linux, aix, solaris, windows, os400 etc but only as much as I need to work with the software I want to deploy on top. There are plenty of people out there tinkering with OS, that’s not me or what interests me. So what does interest me? Technology that does stuff for people. My job is to deploy the infrastructure seamlessly (I hope) so people can use the technology to make their lives easier. It’s my little dream and I’m keeping to it.

So what happens to me in a cloudy world? Let’s say everyone does away with their infrastructure and pays someone else to host it for them. That’s a long journey that I don’t see being done 100% ever.. There are some technologies that will always need to be in house (at least for the next decade or so). Even if they move someone needs to understand the options, plan and design the move, the integration pieces (identity management, security, integration with other systems), maintain the environment and push requests to enhancements / changes (because cloud services are low cost and any money is spent on SLA not services).

In the meantime (let’s say the next 5 years) there are plenty of interesting technologies out there for me to work with. Technologies that have gotten ever more complex – the simpler and shinier the front end and the less we want to disturb users with incidentals like security, the more complex the infrastructure gets. I have to believe in in it though. Sametime yes, Connections 3.0.1 + yes, Lync yes, Google apps no, Sharepoint no, DB2 yes, SQL yes. Oh and there’s someone else out there, someone like dropbox with an entirely new innovative , cloud based technology we won’t see coming. It won’t be IBM or MS or Google , it’ll be someone new and I can’t wait.

Gab (ever the optimist) Davis

3. Marie Scott says:

I’m learning how to make pottery. Does that count? Seriously – anything to do with Linux, managing mobile devices (short term), Active Directory, anything cloud – whether it be deploying apps or users, security and authentication, and identity management.

4. Notesadmin says:

Exchange & Sharepoint ,0)

5. alanlepo says:

I’m not endorsing one platform over another… but I will say I’m getting lots of questions from customers about Salesforce (not just CRM… Chatter, Do, Rypple, force.com apps, etc.) and the SharePoint 2013. Yes, they are cloud platforms so the admin work is not installing and maintaining servers, but there is still a lot of admin work that people with collaboration experience could offer customers who are using these platforms.

6. Dave Quinlan says:

I’d concur with Sharepoint, Linux & AD, depending on your desired career direction. I would also suggest looking into Identity and Access Management technology (Tivoli, Forefront. Oracle Identity and Access Manager, etc…), I’ve found that the Domino security and access models makes for a good conceptual foundation when delving into IAM technologies.

7. Andy Pedisich says:

Well, by this time you’ve read “The Time Machine:” by HG Wells, right? That’s the next big thing for administrators. The administrators are the Morlocks. We’ll be going underground to keep the servers up and the systems running. The people on the surface will be too undereducated in how things work to realize what’s going on. The human race has evolved into two species: the leisured classes have become the ineffectual Eloi, and the downtrodden working classes have become the brutish light-fearing Morlocks/Administrators. Eloi depend on Morlocks for food.. Administrators use eloi for food.
    It’s pretty much the same way it is now.
    -Andy

8. Thomas says:

Personally I’ve been trying to graduate to project management. It’s a big leap for many introverted admins out there, but personally I think I’m up to the task. The only trouble is getting started without starting at the bottom! Education means absolutely nothing in this field.